Thankful to live on the dark side.

Tonight, a famous person came to see my (yeah like I own it) show.  As I look down from the booth, I see her surrounded by her entourage and I thought to myself, I am so glad that I'm on this end of show biz.  I knew she was coming tonight because the house manager was working with some of her "people" in figuring out all the logistics of her arrival. 

Admittedly, she was one of the rare ones who decided to go to her seats before the lights were out.  However, this added some degree of difficulty to her body guards who had to shoo away the few audience members who recognized her and requested a picture (or autograph or whatever).  That right there is one of the things that would bug me.  I would want to be friendly to my fans, but I understand that sometimes they can't be because then other people notice and start the mob mentality.  On the other hand, she did walk out on the show, with her entire entourage, which must have been a bit of a disruption to all those around her (we're talking around 20 people up and leaving in the middle of the show).  Rude.

She's not the first celebrity to come here after all.  We have had actual royalty as well as media named royalty come to the show.  The actual royalty had less difficulty with the audience since they are not as publically well known.  The other kind had to hide behind a wall of ushers (with his kids) and then after the lights were out, dash to their seats.  He had the decency to stay until the show was over (but before the house lights came up) to leave.

I have to wonder, is it worth it to be that famous?  I mean, sure you get all the coolest toys and you can have the nicest food and everything else money can buy, but are they really happy?  I think it drives some of them crazy.  Especially the younger ones.  Certainly, on the dark side of things, there can be a certain amount of stress - sometimes I think they make our lives more stressful just to make themselves feel better - but that's another matter.  If I decide that I want to go to the movie, mall, or amusement park, I don't have throngs of people trying to get my picture (especially doing something embarassing) or snatching up my trash to make a quick buck on eBay (who really pays for that?).  I don't have to worry if I'm wearing the latest fashion (for instance, something other than black).  No, my name may not go down in the history books, but then again, not all of them do either (unless you consider the tabloid archives as history). 

So, I do have to envy the ability to pay your bills (unless you happen to wear parachute pants and have free spending).  Stagehands don't always reap the benefits of the artists' success.  Many of them make just above minimum wage.  I sure would like to get set with some of my bills, but not at the expense of my freedom (being locked in a penthouse to avoid the public isn't that much better than any other imprisonment, is it?).

Comments