Reputation, it can be a harsh mistress

I grew up on the idea that a handshake meant something.  A man is as good as his word.  So, I was told that if a man told me something and then shook on it, I could believe him and that was as good as a contract.  If that man could not fulfill his obligation, he would not cowardly shy away from it, but step up and tell me to my face that he was unable to hold his end of the bargain.  He would then deal with any ramifications that might come of it.  After all, things don't always go as planned.  Working in the live performing arts makes you come to realize this in a very short order.

Now, I understand that this isn't the old west, but I do know that there are still others out there who are raised with the same values.  If a man (or woman) comes up to me with that approach, not knowing that I was raised with the same values, we can usually figure that out.  Believe me, I have been fooled before and have been once again.  Fortunately for me, since I was not the one going back on the handshake, my reputation is not the one at stake.  If anything, it has improved.  Those who go against their part of the bargain come to realize that reputation can be a harsh mistress when wronged.  She takes a lot of work to keep her happy, and when she's happy, then you can be assured that she will help you.

In the past, I have come upon other situations where those of power have taken it upon themselves to try and "ruin" me.  The difference between them and myself is that if someone comes to respect me, it is not because of my power over them or their situation, but because they come to know that I am trustworthy.  Some may not always like what I say, but I am truthful (and sometimes people need the truth).  I had one occasion where, after a disagreement where I was wronged, I applied my legal rights.  Instead of the person who wronged me accepting that they had done wrong, they tried to get back at me by spreading false truths.  Fortunately for me, I am a genuine person and all those who mattered knew that I am nothing like the person that I was being portrayed as.  I ended up being out of work so little that I never collected a dime of unemployment benefits because no one believed what they said.  Now, I could have sought legal action against the perpetrator for slander, but they ultimately failed in their attempt anyway.  While I continued to succeed and grow from that situation, they have grown stagnant in their careers and possibly tarnished their own reputations for trying to wrong me.  

I don't know who reads my blog, nor does it really matter.  What I hope is that if anyone does spend the time to sort through my thoughts, that they come to reflect on themselves and their own situation.  The performing arts community is small.  You will find that you must rely on your reputation as much as your skills.  Be proud of your accomplishments, don't be cocky.  Be sure of your skills, but don't exagerate.  Finally, if you make a promise, and especially if you shake on it, make sure to keep your word.  It doesn't matter how difficult things are or how much different it is from what you thought that the situation would be, you do what you say.  If your word is not good face to face, then no contract with God or man will be worth anything to you.  If that is the case, people will find out and nature will take its course.  So, I'll leave you with something to ponder.  "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to destroy it." ~Warren Buffett.

Comments