Preparation can be confusing

I like to be prepared.  I don't like surprises (in a bad way).  So, yes, when I travel, my bag is usually packed with more than what I want, and hopefully I won't end up needing anything.  Such was the case with a recent business trip that I took.  First of all, the system that I was responsible for was tested and fully planned for any problems that could arise when arriving on site.  I was very thankful for that since we ended up with other challenges.

Now, this event had live performers as well who would be doing some stunts.  In preparation, we trained before hand as well as on site to make sure that if anything were to go wrong that we would be able to get our performers medical attention as soon as possible.  This goes along the line with normal training in basic first aid and CPR that normally goes into my work.  We also train in electrical safety (had my electrical hazard, safety toe shoes on for the entire event) as well as other hazards we may come across.

So, with all of the preparation that we have done prior to arriving on site, as well as the steps we were taking as soon as we arrived, I was more than a little surprised when the security supervisor for the site showed up the morning of the event to ask about an injury that had occurred.  He was upset that there had not been a formal report filed with the facility with the occurrence and wanted to get some of the details.  At first we were completely shocked to hear this (we didn't have a large crew, so I figured that we should have heard about it).  We make a couple of calls to those who had not arrived on site yet, no one had heard anything.  The overnight guard was still there and confirmed that it wasn't any of the crew that was working overnight.  Then the "Aha" moment came.  The guard said that it happened the previous afternoon when we were rehearsing for the performance.  I asked if it was one of the performers that they believed to have been injured, which he affirmed that it was.

It seems that someone observed our rescue rehearsal and thought that it was real.  First of all, I feel really good about that.  It means that we were well enough trained in saving someone that from the outside, it looked like we were really doing it.  After all, we had to get the performer on a spine board and carry him towards the point where the ambulance would have picked him up.  I relayed the entire event to the security supervisor, along with the approximate time that we practiced the rehearsal.  Phew, crisis averted.  No surprises here.

Comments